Cardinal Quarter Toolkit
Congratulations on being selected to participate in a Cardinal Quarter program. As you prepare for your summer experience, these resources may be helpful.
Preparing for Your Cardinal Quarter Experience
Many of the Cardinal Quarter programs have a required or suggested course or series of workshops already associated with the program. If your program does not have a preparation course, consider these opportunities:
Public Service Internship Preparation Course/Workshops
(not offered in 2021)
Come learn from staff, students, and community partners about how to have a successful internship experience! This weekly workshop series is presented by the Haas Center for Public Service in part to help you prepare for Cardinal Quarter experiences, or any internship you’re planning for summer. Workshops will be offered spring quarter in the Haas Center’s DK Room. Snacks and/or lunch will be served.
If you want to take the entire series for a unit of credit, please sign up for EARTHSYS 9/HUMBIO 9/URBANST 101/ARTSINST 40/PUBLPOL 74/EDUC 9 on Axess.
Explore the many Cardinal Courses that may be relevant as you prepare for your cardinal quarter experience, or as options for future quarters after completing experience.
Logistical Planning Resources
- Financial Literacy Tools: Haven Money for Stanford Students - Haven includes resources on banking, credit cards, budgeting, housing and more!
- Meal-planning on a Budget - one of many online resources for meal-planning and budgeting
- General Summer Housing Tips
Program Materials & Resources
Academic Mentor Guidelines
Learning Plan Instructions & Examples
- Cardinal Quarter Learning Plan Instructions
- Learning Plan Worksheet
- Sample Learning Plan - DSST Public Schools
- Sample Learning Plan - Kif-Kif
- Sample Learning Plan - Transgender Law Center
- SIG Sample Learning Plan - Health and Human Services
- SIG Sample Learning Plan - Ocean Protection Council
- SIG Sample Learning Plan - San Francisco District Attorney
Power and Privilege in Service and Community Work (Articles & Videos)
- The Vanity of Volunteerism
- Putting Head and Heart on the Line
- Helping, Fixing or Serving?
- Leading From Within
- Helping Students Explore Their Privileged Identities
- The Danger of a Single Story (video)
- Cultural Humility (video)
- Pedagogy of Privilege (video)
- How Can I do Good in the World (video)
- To Hell With Good Intentions
- Slumdog Tourism
- Principles of Ethical & Effective Service – Haas Center for Public Service
International Travel Resources
- Undergraduate Travel Checklist – Stanford Office of International Affairs
- Students Abroad – U.S. Department of State
- Country Specific Information – U.S. Department of State
- International Travel Issues for Americans
- Travel Checklist
- How to Deal with Culture Shock Abroad
- Stanford Office of International Affairs
- International Travel Guidelines & Information (from the Haas Center)
Health and Safety
- Traveler's Health - Center for Disease Control
- Vaden Health Center - General Information, Travel Health
- Health and Safety Tips for Travel (from Vaden)
- Other Travel Concerns (from Vaden)
LGBTQ & Women's Resources
Making the Most of Your Cardinal Quarter Experience
- Tips from Former Fellows
- Internship Success: Tips From Cardinal Quarter Host Organizations
- Cardinal Quarter Supervisors Panel 2020: Supervisors at organizations that host Cardinal Quarter fellows share advice for incoming summer fellows, including how their organizations are conducting work remotely during the COVID-19 health emergency.
- Host Organization Tips: Check out these quick video tips from Olatunde Sobomehin and Elisa Nino-Sears, two longtime CSWS and Cardinal Quarter supervisors! Tunde speaks to how to make this summer Just the Start to Something Special, and Elisa shares her insights on Building Your Team of Advisors, Adjusting to Your Work Experience, and why internships are a great chance to have New Realizations and Stay in Touch!
- Tips for a Successful Remote Internship Experience
- Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Summer Internship
- Make Your Summer Internship What You Want it To Be
- How to Be the Best Intern Ever
- 21 Ways to Make the Most of Your Internship
- How to End Your Internship on a Positive Note
- Managing Social Profiles in College
- Communication Etiquette & Professionalism as an Intern
- Tips for Fellows (from Cardinal Quarter staff)
- Nonprofit Speak 101 (from Idealist)
What is a "Nonprofit?" (from the National Council of Nonprofits)
Resources Available During the Summer
International SOS (ISOS) & On Call International
Find contact information for International SOS (ISOS) and On Call International at the bottom of the OIA webpage
Acts of Intolerance & Sexual Harassment
While your first line of information and procedures should be the resources provided by your office, you can also access Stanford University campus resources.