No matter what you're interested in, there's a way to integrate Cardinal Service into your life at Stanford.
You’re part of the Stanford community, an extraordinary group of people known for innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit. Here, you'll find a thriving community of people committed to making the world a better place.
Use your talents, skills, and creativity to improve the lives of others—jump into a Cardinal Service opportunity!
What is Cardinal Service?
Cardinal Service is a university-wide effort to make service an essential part of your Stanford education. It helps students engage with their community and the world to bring about real, positive change.
Cardinal Service has four main programs:
- Cardinal Quarter: Spend a summer or quarter working full time in public service.
- Cardinal Courses: Take a course that applies classroom knowledge to real-world problems.
- Cardinal Commitment: Make a three-quarter, part-time commitment to a service organization or project.
- Cardinal Careers: Pursue work in the public interest or integrate service into any career.
There are also opportunities for you to attend workshops and events, participate in one-time volunteering opportunities, and join student service organizations.
Explore undergraduate opportunities
Fellowships & internshipsExplore opportunities
Courses for creditExplore opportunities
Student service organizationsExplore organizations
Support for your public service
Getting started on your public service journey may seem daunting at first, but help is available!
Check out the Advising page to make an appointment with our knowledgeable staff or a student who's already participated in the program.
Get inspired and find out more about what it's like to participate in a service experience by reading stories and reflections from students and alumni.
Student Service Organizations
There are more than 100 student-led service organizations at Stanford, in every imaginable interest area. Student organizations participate in service at Stanford by:
- Volunteering with community organizations
- Working on their own projects
- Offering other students opportunities to turn their service interests into a Cardinal Commitment
Registered student service organizations also have access to:
- Staff advising
- Workshops and training
- Resources such as transportation, meeting space, and small funding grants
Contact the Cardinal Commitment team to learn more.