Which Cardinal Commitment is right for you?
Types of Cardinal Commitments
Cardinal Commitments are all different, depending on the needs of a community, organization, or the issue with which you are engaged, as well as your own public service goals.
Choose the Commitment that best suits you. The criteria below and your personal public service mission statement can help guide you in selecting the right one.
While all the listed expectations are critical to fulfilling a Cardinal Commitment, the two that are a priority are (1) consistent, continual, and sustained public service work over time—at minimum the equivalent of a majority of an academic year—and (2) that your service abides by the Principles of Ethical and Effective Service.
Once you've decided what kind of commitment you're making, follow the link to fill out the appropriate application.
A significant leadership role in a public service organization, initiative, or movement.
Are you a student who has an official, recognized leadership role and is responsible for setting goals, guiding an organization, and helping other engage in public service? A Leadership Commitment might be right for you.
- Using a personal mission statement as a guide, hold a significant formal leadership role in a public service organization or initiative as your priority extracurricular activity for the equivalent of at least a majority of an academic year.
- Complete the model in Canvas or attend a workshop on the Principles of Ethical and Effective Service.
- Introduce the Principles of Ethical and Effective Service to the organization you are leading and incorporate them into your organization’s work.
- Review the Pathways of Public Service and Civic Engagement.
- Engage in at least one structured learning opportunity (class, workshop, conference, learning community, etc.) that impacts your project.
- Develop and cultivate a mentor who can help you with your public service leadership role .
- Write a reflection on your service experience when you certify or conclude your Leadership Commitment.
The graphic below illustrates how a student might engage with the programs offered through Cardinal Commitment over time, gathering expertise and taking on more responsibility as they progress. Talk with an advisor to find out more.