American Red Cross
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
We have 5 lines of service:
- Disaster Relief
- Lifesaving Blood (Biomedical services)
- Training Services
- International Services
- Service to the Armed Forces
We adhere to the following humanitarian principles as one of the 187 Red Cross and Red Crescent societies around the world:
Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Services, Unity, Universality.
We are a volunteer led organization. On disaster relief operations over 90% of our workforce is comprised of volunteers.
Our main offices in the Bay Area are San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. We have dozens of offices across California and hundreds across the United States.
Students are allowed to work remotely from campus. Red Cross team members come to campus to meet with students either related to their mentoring or as part of their regular work on projects and programs. Here are some possible activities. Contact Luke Beckman, below, to learn more.
- Technology Design and Development
- Disaster Program Management
- Disaster Action Team
- Youth Preparedness Education
- Disaster Logistics Support and Coordination
- Disaster Operations Support and Coordination
- Government Operations Support
- Emergency Operations Center Liaison
- Community Partnerships Development
- Crisis Communications
- Volunteer Training
- Sound the Alarm! Home Fire Reduction Campaign Coordination